Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Trials and Other Things Involving Fire

Funny thing about God...
There are things you can pray a long time for, and for whatever reason God doesn’t grant your request. (Of course as we all must learn~continuously~it is always for our best.) But if you have even a passing thought while sitting in a drive-thru or a barely whispered utterance about how you need more patience, strength, faith, etc... in your life, God will most surely get right on it!  It is also worth noting that no matter how long you have been following God, you still can forget that such requests are accomplished through trial. Because it sure would be nicer to ask, sleep on it, and wake up a new you.

And so it is, ever since my daughter came into the world, that I have been telling God that I would like to learn how to “roll with whatever life brings.” I am truly not good at this. I am a natural worrier. I have actually been known to say, “there’s something I am supposed to be worrying about, but I can’t remember what it is.” Yep, you guessed it, I worry about what to worry about. I have met other chronic worriers, and I assure you I cannot claim sole ownership of this quirky, distorted way of thinking. But now that I have someone I must teach how to navigate the world, I feel even more of an impetus to clean this up in my life. I don’t want her to think like me. I also don’t wish to compromise my health by filling my life with stress needlessly, since I would like to be around to share her life. So, you can see God couldn’t be God and ignore this request. :)

So the last two weeks have held a lot of bad news, culminating (I hope) in today’s fire. Yep, fire.

I had a local company scheduled to install desperately needed insulation in the exterior walls of our house today. I was sitting inside with the baby while the house shook from all the drilling....okay, so far nothing unexpected...

Then silence.
Followed by swarming workers in a panic.
I thought, “oh no, they hit a pipe in the house.”
They began yelling something about water and swarming around the hose.
I thought, “ great...there must be water gushing everywhere.”
{Wrong element.}
It was at this point, I looked out the front window to see their work trailer up in flames.

After calling 911, I called my dad. Because even at my age, my dad still makes everything seem okay.  
Me: Dad, the guys that are here to put the insulation in have a burning trailer in front of my house. It’s attached to a pickup truck I am afraid is going to blow up. I am concerned the house, the baby, and the whole of the earth (okay, this is added for humorous impact...) are going to be destroyed.
Dad: Why don’t they just take the trailer off the hitch and drive the pickup away from the fire? That’s what I would be doing.
Me: Uhh, I don’t know, dad... I am too busy planning on running down the street MacGyver style, sheltering your granddaughter from what will surely be the apocalyptic debris field...
Dad: And where did you find these guys anyway; are you sure they are reputable?
Me: Yeah, dad. They are  Glenn Haege recommended...
I love dads. They always bring a certain practicality to situations.

Thankfully, no people were hurt and no property was damaged. The company even assured me the job would still be finished today. And it was.

Me? I feel like I have been sitting in God’s classroom waiting for the dismissal bell to ring. But it is all good because...

John 16:33; 14:16-19, 26-27

33These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
 17Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
 18I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
 19Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
26But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
 27Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

signaturePhotobucket

1 comment:

GreekGoddessCindy said...

there is no mistake that i came across this today. I was on my blog and i noticed a couple of your blog posts, from a couple of years ago. I was going to read the one about the Winter and Christmas, because you live in Michigan like I do, but I noticed the one underneath it (on my welcome page). I noticed because you were talking about God. And it seems so funny that at the time when I need a lift, I come across this. God always find a way to get me back to him, and he used you/your blog. I was slipping far and fast away from him, and I just needed some type of encouragement to get me back closer to him. Almost crying at the end of this post because i needed those scriptures..I needed something. So i thank you and I thank God for always finding some way, somehow to get me back. I dont know if you would bother reading any my posts, but i wouldnt if i was you. If you do, its evident that I NEED to get back close with God. So again, thank you for this post. I dont know if you feel what you write matters to other people or not, but it will always reach someone, and mean something to someone... Cuz it touched me